">

Tuesday, September 4, 2012

DIY: Up-cycled Vintage Suitcase


When Rustyn and I went Garagin' I fell in love with a couple of old suit cases. I found the first one at an estate sale. I was so excited, it was marked at $20.00 but we arrived on the last day of the sale so everything was marked down 50%. Woohoo, $10.00!!! I thought I did so good. I was so excited. Then Lo and behold there it was at the next place we stopped an even cuter vintage case for only $2.00. Rustyn thought it was so funny but I didn't let this get me down, I just bought it to and said I got two cases for only $12.00, what a find! :) I knew when I bought the cases that I wanted to paint them. Here's how I did the first one.

Here is the original case. Great condition, boring color!
Materials: Case, Latex Colorstay Satin paint, brush, tape, Krylon Primer, and Diet Coke to help me along~ of course!
Taped off and ready for primer.

The first thing I did, after cleaning my case with Clorox, was tape off the metal parts. You could paint all of it but I wanted to keep the silver metal. After I taped all the metal parts off I headed outside to prime my case. I used a can of Krylon spray primer, otherwise I'd probably just do it inside. It's over 100 degrees here in OK and it September!!! 

Case primed and ready for painting!

After I primed my case I went back inside to the A/C! To start painting.

Bermuda Bay Colorplace Paint.

I chose a color called Bermuda Bay and I am thrilled with the way it turned out! I painted in stages, letting each side dry before flipping over to the other side. I ended up painting 3 coats. 2 would suffice but I wanted to make sure it was even. When I took the paint off I had to touch up around the metal. It took a lot of work but I am happy with the way it turned out.

I cut out the Tiffany's logo from a magazine. I'm kind of obsessed! Plus the case needed my name on it anyways :) 


1 comment:

  1. Hey, I actually got the same exact luggage and was looking around to see how to clean and edit it a little and this is perfect for the second part! Any tips on removing the inner-fabric stains?

    ReplyDelete