">

Tuesday, September 4, 2012

DIY: Up-cycled Vintage Suitcase


When Rustyn and I went Garagin' I fell in love with a couple of old suit cases. I found the first one at an estate sale. I was so excited, it was marked at $20.00 but we arrived on the last day of the sale so everything was marked down 50%. Woohoo, $10.00!!! I thought I did so good. I was so excited. Then Lo and behold there it was at the next place we stopped an even cuter vintage case for only $2.00. Rustyn thought it was so funny but I didn't let this get me down, I just bought it to and said I got two cases for only $12.00, what a find! :) I knew when I bought the cases that I wanted to paint them. Here's how I did the first one.

Here is the original case. Great condition, boring color!
Materials: Case, Latex Colorstay Satin paint, brush, tape, Krylon Primer, and Diet Coke to help me along~ of course!
Taped off and ready for primer.

The first thing I did, after cleaning my case with Clorox, was tape off the metal parts. You could paint all of it but I wanted to keep the silver metal. After I taped all the metal parts off I headed outside to prime my case. I used a can of Krylon spray primer, otherwise I'd probably just do it inside. It's over 100 degrees here in OK and it September!!! 

Case primed and ready for painting!

After I primed my case I went back inside to the A/C! To start painting.

Bermuda Bay Colorplace Paint.

I chose a color called Bermuda Bay and I am thrilled with the way it turned out! I painted in stages, letting each side dry before flipping over to the other side. I ended up painting 3 coats. 2 would suffice but I wanted to make sure it was even. When I took the paint off I had to touch up around the metal. It took a lot of work but I am happy with the way it turned out.

I cut out the Tiffany's logo from a magazine. I'm kind of obsessed! Plus the case needed my name on it anyways :) 


3 comments:

  1. Hey, I actually got the same exact luggage and was looking around to see how to clean and edit it a little and this is perfect for the second part! Any tips on removing the inner-fabric stains?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Beautifully done! I see a lot of old suitcases at church sales and thrift stores and this is great way to upcycle them. You mentioned the suitcase in the picture had silver metal and noticed it was gold when all was said and done. What method did you use on the metal to make it gold (paint or spray paint) and what products did you use?

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have one exactly like it. My mother-in-law bought it for me when I flew to Alaska.
    I've had it for years and years.

    ReplyDelete